In the last article, I tried to demystify what Leadership is. This time round, I explore the opposite. Leadership is not:-
- Being bossy and domineering. It is not about Leaders being served by other people. Otherwise, it becomes misuse of authority.
- Selfishness and greed. Note that the world has enough for everyone’s need but for anyone’s greed!
- Position that one holds. It means that in case that position is withdrawn, you cease to exist.
- Management. Management deals with logistics, systems and targets while leadership deals with achieving set visions.
- Event. Neither is it ceremonial. It does not come to action only when there are activities or occasions to be attended to.
- Genetic. It is not automatic that if your parent was great leader you will be. We have great leaders whose parents or children were a failure.
- Education. Having a PhD, few MA’s and several degrees to your name does not automatically make you a leader but rather educated.
- Speeches that come from the top of our minds but the convictions and commitment that comes from the depth of our heart.
- Doing things to or for others or else it becomes exploitation or paternalism respectively. Seek to do things though people.
- Who you know or what you have. It is who you are!
Go thee into the world and Lead!